Empowering Clients To Make Informed, Intelligent Decisions

Personalized Attention, Experienced Counsel

Interstate Child Support

Child Support When Parents Live in Different States

After divorce, people move around the country for many reasons, such as employment, military duty or remarriage. But child support matters are still governed by the court where the divorce or dissolution was granted. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), it may be possible to transfer jurisdiction to a new state for purposes of registering, modifying or enforcing child support.

If you and the other parent have both relocated from the original jurisdiction, Treneff Cozza Law, LLC can help you register that foreign child support order in Ohio and then petition for modification or ask an Ohio judge to enforce it. Our lawyers have extensive experience in interstate child support and interstate child custody, serving the Columbus area and central Ohio. Arrange a consultation today by calling us at 614-891-4230 or sending an e-mail.

Interstate Child Support

If one parent still lives in the state where a court order for child support was issued, that state retains jurisdiction. However, if neither parent still lives there, it makes no sense to travel back there to settle an interstate child support dispute. Once you have established residency in Ohio for at least six months, the UIFSA allows for jurisdiction over child support to be transferred here.

We can assist clients with:

  • Registering child support orders (for future purposes)
  • Modifying child support (increase or decrease)
  • Contempt of court proceedings to compel the non-custodial parent to pay
  • Registering and modifying custody in Ohio

For further information on interstate custody and support, click here.

Our attorneys have an in-depth understanding of the UIFSA and all issues in interstate child support and enforcement. We will faithfully counsel and represent you to the best of our abilities. Call 614-891-4230 or contact us online.